Shirai - Posuka Oct. '2020 Interview

The Promised Neverland Series Completion Commemorative Talk: 4 Years in Shonen Jump Where Genius Writers Gather!

Kaiu Shirai x Posuka Demizu



Although the form is different, what I wanted to do was mostly done!

First of all, please share your sincere thoughts about having to keep up with working on a weekly serialization for about four years.

Shirai: Looking back now, I want to say “it was fun”; but during that time, it was honestly painful. (laughs)

Makes sense. (laughs)

Shirai: It’s hard to describe the feeling of the deadline approaching when I’m not done with the storyboard...I regret that I’ve caused a great deal of trouble to Posuka Demizu sensei.

But you didn’t have to break the schedule (and could complete it in time), right?

Shirai: Because Demizu sensei adjusted my manuscript every time.

Demizu: No, no....that’s not true at all! (laughs) Our editor also made adjustments many times. In the first place, it’s natural that it requires time to complete the storyboard.

Shirai: But still, I was really late! I’m very sorry!

Three years before the start of serialization, Shirai sensei brought ~300 pages of manuscript to Weekly Shonen Jump. From left, you can see the title of the work was “A Way For Us To Survive In This World”. The art is beautiful, and all of it is Shirai sensei’s.


Then, did you actually have days off during serialization?

Shirai: For me, almost none. It was 4 years of worrying to make it a little better.

What about Demizu sensei?

Demizu: I colored during my rest time.

That wasn’t really resting, was it?

Demizu: No, but it’s like drawing pictures as a hobby without doing anything. That's why I loved double issues (*When the magazine goes on break for a week). Because I thought "I'll have a lot of time to draw!"

Shirai: Drawing for work and even on breaks-isn’t that amazing?

Demizu: I was thinking that it made me feel relaxed, so it must be rest~ (laughs)

I see, so was this the secret behind the finely detailed colored illustrations?

Demizu: Well, there were instances when I was drawing them almost as a hobby. (laughs)

I heard that the prototype plot by Shirai sensei existed long before serialization, so what percentage of that work is reflected in the end product?

Shirai: Around 30~40% if stretched, I’d say. As a result, it became almost a different story.

Where did the plans change significantly?

Shirai: After escaping from the orphanage. Originally, I was thinking of developing a way for children to survive outside in the great wilderness, similar to ‘Planet Earth’. The plan was to write about difficulties faced in a world where you eat or be eaten. However, around the same time, a great work by Riichiro Inagaki and Boichi titled ‘Dr. Stone’ started serializing in the same Jump magazine.

It overlapped a little, right?

Shirai: I could keep it overlapped, but I thought it would turn into a head-to-head match. (laughs) So, I changed direction; going on the flow of fighting the demons that appeared in the demon-built recreational human hunting ground, Goldy Pond.

However, although the outline itself has changed considerably from what I originally thought it’d be at the beginning of the series, I was still able to include most of what I wanted to write. For example, reuniting with a slightly different Norman, and the story of a girl called Ayshe who was raised by the demons. I was half wondering if I’d have to throw them away when the setting changed. But eventually, I was able to incorporate these better than I expected, so in that sense, it's 30-40%.

On the contrary, are there characters who were born from these unexpected changes?

Shirai: That might be the case with Grand Duke Leuvis-a character introduced in the aforementioned ‘Goldy Pond’. I didn’t particularly think about rapidly introducing some battle-maniac demons like him.

However, from the start, I knew I had to do something regarding the demons and their way of life and I was able to achieve that to some extent there. Besides, there wasn’t only Leuvis but also demons like Noum and Nouma; I myself became quite fond of the demons that appeared there- so I’m glad that these characters could be created as a result!

The demons from Goldy Pond, as mentioned in the talk. The creatures who humans refer to as ‘demons’ have various appearances.


So, even though the outline changed, the core of what you wanted to write wasn’t disturbed.

Shirai: Exactly.

On the other hand, was it difficult for the artist Demizu sensei to build a new worldview in terms of creating unforeseen settings and character designs?

Demizu: I don’t think it was difficult. While Shirai sensei was considering the setting carefully, I went with the feeling “It’d be so interesting to do this~!” instead of thinking deeply. It was rather enjoyable for me. (laughs)


To Shirai sensei, Demizu Sensei is like Emma+Norman= A God!!



Now, I’d like to ask you two about the three main characters-Emma, Norman and Ray. Firstly, I’d ask Shirai sensei about their personalities and values behind their actions; the sides of them that resemble you and are different from you, and how you view them personally.

Shirai: When it comes to whether they’re like me or not, I think Ray is the closest to me of the three. Moreover, the bad sides of Ray!

Limited to the bad sides? (laughs)

Shirai: Firstly, Emma and Norman are so dazzlingly kind, honestly, that doesn’t resemble me at all. Of the three, I feel familiar with Ray's twisted darkness and desperation. So, perhaps, he was the character who was the easiest for me to write.

That being said, he is also a very good kid and I’m not such a human being, that’s why it’s ‘limited to the bad sides’. I mean, if I were locked inside a farm like that, I don’t know what sort of destruction I’d end up doing out of desperation! (laughs)

That’s true. Even if we’re talking about acting so calmly in such an extreme situation, these three are certainly special.

Shirai: I somehow feel like Emma is born from my desire for something that I don’t have in myself-- thinking how nice it’d be to have someone who scoops up everyone while trying to push forward in such a desperate situation.

How about Norman?

Shirai: If I forcibly search for our similarities, only stubbornness? (laughs) Maybe some aspects are similar, but basically, we’re different.

But he’s a character that came out from you, didn't he? (laughs)

Shirai: If you say that, it's probably the same as Emma-my desire. Like, how nice it'd be if there were a reliable person like him. Yes, that’s why when I apply this to my surroundings, for me personally, I’ve always thought that Demizu sensei is exactly Emma+Norman for me. And I’m Ray- more specifically, I always think that I’m 'the bad side of Ray' and Demizu sensei is 'Emma+Norman+the good side of Ray'! 

Demizu: That’s not true! (laughs)

Shirai: No, that much is true. She’d meet all of my unreasonable requests as if a Norman-like genius; and always show me an overwhelming light of hope like Emma; Demizu sensei is a person like a God to me!

Demizu: No no no, that’s too high! (laughs)


A Single Smiling Face of Emma can Change the Story’s Meaning to 180 Degrees!


Now, Demizu sensei, please do share the impression and secret stories of the main three from the perspective of their artist. First of all, what is your impression of Emma, the protagonist?

Demizu: I had to draw plenty of Emma's cheerful faces in particular, and I'm glad that I had a positive feeling myself. Genuinity was essential there. Even with the same smile, there were many scenes where the meaning changed completely due to subtle differences. For example, in order to avoid reader's misunderstanding, there were trials where I smiled, took my picture with a smartphone, and compared them side by side.

While it's fun to search for the ideal smile, I was worried about choosing the wrong smile and entirely changing the meaning of the scene; so drawing Emma's smiling face had a unique difficulty like flipping the sides of the same coin.

Have you ever made a wrong choice? 

Demizu: No, I knew the importance of it, so I decided to ask Shirai sensei in advance regarding any of my concerns. And during consultations, I receive suggestions such as "Then, how about something like this?" We worked on it together until both of us were satisfied. 

Taking even one of the chapters, we can see that it was drawn in a fairly detailed manner every week.

Demizu: But since it's a weekly serialization, there were many cases where the given time wasn't enough.  I often took time to fix everything till the very last minute.

Shirai: I'm sorry, only if I had submitted the storyboard a bit sooner every week… 

Demizu: Oh no, I didn't say it to imply that, it's okay! That was still enjoyable for me! (laughs) 

Shirai: Please, no ~ that was still my carelessness. When working together like this, it's scary if the flow of the story changes just with one facial expression; and you can’t consult with others about problems like this. But Demizu sensei can do it very easily, so I took it as a norm. I’d shoot the manuscripts with crucial details at her without giving a second thought. But reflecting on it now, what a terrible job I was doing...I’m really sorry…

Demizu: It’s okay, it’s okay! I did it with fun! (laughs)


Once again, what a perfect combination (laughs). How about drawing Norman?

Demizu: The fun part about Norman for me was that he suddenly grew up and came out. I was looking forward to how I’d show his growth there, and I made a lot of draft patterns and discussed with Shirai sensei about which one to go with!

Growth as in, the difference between Norman in earlier days and after his reappearance, right?

Demizu: Yes. Particularly, his demeanor had changed drastically since his reappearance, so it was fun to make changes and sharpen his expressions. However, when I suddenly picked up an older volume and took a look at it, he seemed like a completely different person. (laughs) Is it really okay to make changes to this extent? I finalized the design while asking myself.

But it felt like Norman's sharp expression returned to his gentle demeanor at the very end, when the flow of the story settled down.

Demizu: That’s right. For that, I deliberately pulled out an older volume and drew him after reminding myself. Because a lot of time had passed on, and I myself had forgotten to draw him like that. (laughs)

And if I were to ask the difficulties of drawing Ray?

Demizu: That would be consistently drawing his face turned to the left. The bangs hide all of his facial expressions. (laughs)

Ah, I see. (laughs)

Demizu: Especially when he has an important line to say and has to be drawn from the right, I have no choice but to slightly split the bangs. (laughs) That was a big problem till the end, but just making sure no one gets it wrong-I love that hairstyle! 


Ayshe’s Story will Surely be Revealed, Someday...


By the way, this is something I want to ask both of you- if you were to write an extra edition chapter about one character that’s not the main three and dig deeper into their story, which character would you choose?

Shirai: If I say this, I feel that the enthusiastic readers will throw a punchline, “Well then, write it!” (laughs)

I daresay, it’s Ayshe.

The girl raised by a demon and was sheltered by Norman?

Shirai: I hinted that there’s a deep connection between Ayshe and Norman, however, I cut off the subplot in the main story and got into the flow of the final chapter without being able to resolve it. It happened while I was being aware of it myself, but I think there must be many people who thought “Did you neglect it?” So I want to apologize to the readers first, and this is also a reason I’d pick Ayshe as my option.

Is the content you couldn’t show the readers already in your mind?

Shirai: Most of it, yes. Things like what Ayshe was told by Norman, and what she had in mind while pretending to obey Norman’s orders.

Hearing that makes us want to read more.

Shirai: But it’s not something I threw away, I definitely want to pick it up somewhere. A Fan book will be released soon, and other than that, fortunately, the serialization is still moving steadily in forms of various other media.

Then, fans can still look forward to it.

Shirai: Yes, I’ll do my best to reveal it someday!

Ayshe, the girl raised by demons. Shirai sensei expresses the desire to reveal her story that couldn’t be drawn.


How about Demizu sensei? Do you specifically want to draw the story of a character?

Demizu: For me...it has to be Vincent.

Norman’s subordinate after his reappearance!

Demizu: Same goes for all other characters from Lambda. In the presence of Ray and Emma, these people are seen as Norman’s subordinates. However, in reality, they too are a group of talented geniuses like Emma & co. What if they were in the protagonist role, what type of actions would they take? Thinking about it, my imagination keeps on inflating.

Vincent, who escaped from Lambda along with Norman. He uses his smart brain to confront the demons.
Serializing in The Jump Filled With Geniuses

Shirai: During serialization, there were plenty of ideas that Demizu sensei often gave me that I hadn’t expected. For example, in the concept stage for Goldy Pond demon Leuvis who was mentioned in this interview earlier, the idea that “there are two cores, so they’d survive even if one is crushed” was raised by Demizu sensei. I saw it and thought, “I can use this!” So, around the end, I could revive Leuvis once more, after he supposedly died. 

There were many chemical reaction-like phenomena that were born in this series because of Demizu sensei... I’m really grateful to have worked with such a brilliant person!

Demizu: But from my point of view, Shirai sensei is more amazing for never failing to pick it up. Shirai sensei has an extremely high ability to connect the dots; although I would draw with a light feeling such as “I tried it out, please feel free to play with it!”, sensei would be able to make the best use of them. Every time this happens like a miracle, I’m just impressed, thinking-This person is so incredible!

Shirai: Because every time you draw a picture, you always include ideas that make me want to connect them, Demizu sensei! (laughs) I can feel how much I was helped by that creativity.

At first when I was asked to draw in Jump, I was an ordinary, nervous human surrounded by geniuses- and I thought I’d have to work hard to somehow keep clinging to my place so that I wouldn’t be shaken off. But looking closely, the strongest genius by the name Demizu sensei was on my side. How reassuring is that? It’s thanks to her that I was able to continue serializing for four years!

Demizu: Oh, please. (laughs) But when we started serialization, there were so many authors around me whose works I read from the time I was a kid, so I was nervous as well. But as the four years passed on, my assistant debuted and became my rival; so my own position also changed. I felt such a tense atmosphere throughout the four years- that I mustn’t lose not only to the seniors I admire but also to the juniors.

And the culmination of it all, volume 20, was released on October 2nd. Did you aim for 20 volumes?

Shirai: I did. From the very beginning, it was a story that started after considering the flow to the finale to an extent. I always meant it to be a story that's not too long. In the primary stage, the editor also somehow said, “If it’s going to run for a while, not more than 20 volumes”. As a result, the number of volumes was exactly the same.


We Want to Enjoy Various Forms of TPN, as well!


But the animation etc. are drawing in and the popularity has been maintained, was there never a consideration to continue the serialization a little longer?

Shirai: I think if I wanted to continue, I could elaborate on the contents-especially those from the 20th volume. However, I made up my mind to reach the climax with the speed of a roller coaster. So, I ran through and completed it by cutting off the branches, without being greedy.

We’re looking forward to the development of the story in other forms such as the live-action film, the second season of anime, and the western drama.

Shirai: I’m really grateful, I look forward to seeing this work being expanded in the hands of other people and not ourselves. Certainly, when it leaves our hands and reaches other media, there will be change in impression due to the slight differences, but I also supervise them so that they will never shake from the solid core of “The Promised Neverland.” On top of that, I’m looking forward to the differences that appear in each media and would like everyone to see them as well.

What is Demizu sensei’s impression?

Demizu: I’m really happy and grateful as well. However, the strange thing is that, before serialization, I vaguely thought “I wish I could make a work that could be animated or made into a movie”- but there’s a considerable gap in my current feeling. Now I often think that just being happy isn’t enough. 

Now, there’s a sense of responsibility that I have to supervise as a staff, and on the contrary, there are times when the animators’ arts are so good that it frustrates me. (laughs)

Even Demizu sensei feels this way, huh?

Demizu: I do, a lot. That’s why I’m happy that various people are involved, on the other hand, I can find many aspects where I myself can improve on. So I’m watching it with excitement. And every time I get inspired, I want to draw new art too. (laughs)

 

Well then, any plan to start a new serialization with this duo?

Shirai: Of course, I’m hopeful. But I have inconvenienced Demizu sensei for the past 4 years, so only if she hasn’t run out of patience...

Demizu: It’s nothing like that! I look forward to making new original works.

 

TV Anime season 2

(broadcasting from January 2021 at 25:25)

Anime season 1 is currently airing in Noitamina! The sub audio is amazing! Those of you who have watched, let’s re-experience while waiting for the second season! (Shirai)


There can’t be a more reassuring production team, because Shirai sensei who is now free from manga serialization is seriously cooperating with the already wonderful animation team. I’ve worked on some new designs, so please look forward to it. (Demizu)



Live-Action: The Promised Neverland

(Premieres: December 18th)


The actors were certainly splendid, and the location was so spot on that it impressed me. The missing elements are supplemented by CG, but the difference between CG and real isn’t noticeable at all! I do hope you enjoy it on the large screen of the theatre! (Shirai)


I think the good thing about movies is it lets the people who don’t usually read manga enjoy the story. That’s why I really want the people who haven’t read the manga to come. My favorite part is the gestures of the cute actors playing the role of little children!  (Demizu)



The Promised Neverland Exhibition

(Roppongi Hills, December 11th~ January 11th) 


You can see Demizu sensei’s artworks that I absolutely adore in a large size and also in the exclusive items, the ink which is used is high quality and the color quality is good, so please come to look at them directly. Also, it is a must-see because you can watch the parts of panels that are cropped in the manga. (Shirai)


For this exhibition, we have a lot of unique plans to give everyone some rare opportunities, such as shooting a video of my drawing from the draft and making its public release for the first time. I would be very happy if you come to visit and enjoy it. (Demizu)




The Promised Neverland: Artbook World

(Releases: November 4th, 2020)


In addition to the compilation of the arts I’ve drawn so far, I drew a lot of new colored arts for this book! There are many characters who are colored for the first time on this occasion, so I’d be glad if you take a close look and find them. (Demizu)



The Promised Neverland Fanbook: Mystic Code

(Releases: December 4th, 2020)


When I started discussing with my editor for this book, I spent a few days just talking about it. (laughs) This book condenses all of those thoughts. I tried to answer your questions as much as possible, so please read it! (Shirai)


Fox 21 x Amazon Prime Video Western Drama project


Although the sound of Hollywood drama scared me at first (laughs), the crew members respect the original work, and on top of that, they came up with ideas I didn’t have. Something that exceeds my expectations can be made, so I’m very excited. (Shirai)


When the Producer first declared that ‘there’s no problem with casting’, I could feel the accumulation of experience and confidence that came from working in Hollywood, and it brought peace in my mind. I’ll take the challenge of cooperating with all my power. (Demizu)


Source:

Weekly Shupure issue # 42 (October 5, 2020)

Shueisha entertainment news (October 10, 2020): https://wpb.shueisha.co.jp/news/entertainment/2020/10/12/112130/?utm_source=SocialDog



Translation: @ShamsTahsin 


Comments

Popular Posts